Total Pageviews

Monday 11 June 2012

Creating the Space


For me meditation is an essential part of Tantra. Indeed I would go so far as to state that meditation is the foundation of my practice of Tantra. Meditation is where I consciously cultivate what I consider essential to being a Tantric. So the space has to be different. It has to be conducive to extended periods of silence and a space we like being in. It also has to be functional. For it is in this space that all the other supports for Tantra happen and these include yoga, weights, pelvic lifts and sacred sex.


The space for me has to be bright. Not as in full of blindingly bright light, but full of colour and light, I have about six candles in the room. One thing I immediately changed when I decided that Tantra was the Dharma I wanted to pursue was all the monochromatic Theravadin Buddha images were removed from my altar. Now the altar is filled only with Avalokitesvara and there are multicoloured images of Shakti, Avalokitesvara and Shiva hanging along the curtain line. The energy in the place changed immediately...for the brighter and in my opinion, the better. I also bring flowers, a drink....often some of the tea I'm drinking and an offering of food to the altar.


My meditation area is filled with what is sacred to me and that includes a Shiva Lingam smack in the middle of the altar and in front of my Avalokitesvara's. I have openly sexual images on display. This makes sense because it is in this space that sacred sex happens.


I am careful in my choice of incense and meditation accessories. I think that I have engaged in a simple form of aromatherapy in that it is with the lighting of the candles and incense that the signal is sent to the mind that now is the time for the pleasureable practice of meditation.


I make a point of the meditation cushion being comfortable, but firm. The cushion I am using at the moment is filled with Buckwheat husks. And because I live in Melbourne, I have a meditation shawl which I wear in winter.


And because I am a pragmatist, I bring caffeine with me. I am also an early morning meditator and despite getting some criticism for it over the years before I exceeded my pain threshold with the Theravadins, I think a good solid shot of tea or coffee whilst meditating is perfectly acceptable. For me all these physical supports help with the meditation and I have been meditating for 24 years now.

I hope these thoughts help you.


No comments:

Post a Comment