Total Pageviews

Friday 1 June 2012

Gratitude


Lately as part of my meditation I have been cultivating gratitude. Rather than being angry at the people who I used to have contact with at the Buddhist Society of Victoria, Bodhivana Forest Monastery, Vimokkharam Forest Hermitage and Bodhinyana Forest Monastery, for not practising what they preach and being mind alteringly conservative, I now cultivate an attitude of
"Thank-you!"
For it is their decisions that have lead me to Tantra. I no longer see people like Prem Nawaratne, Cora Thomas, Jinanie De Silva, David Cheal, Ian & Poh Lan Chen as the objects for my anger, rather it is a case of "Thank-you for giving me no other option but to leave a path that manifestly was not working for me." They are the people who taught me that Theravada simply isn't me. They helped me see where I was never going to achieve what I wanted using that Dharma. Their behaviour encouraged me to seek out and explore alternatives, and the alternative for me is Tantra. They are deeply influential teachers of mine and as a result I now cultivate that deep sense of gratitude. Gratitude brings happiness.

I reflect on just how much brighter and happier my practice is these days. I am able to achieve peace and stillness very quickly these days in my meditation. The meditation room is full of bright colours and I think that shows itself in the energy of the place. 

I am now exploring teachers I would never have gone near when I was a Theravadin and I can fully understand why Osho has been so popular. I can now see my favourite Sufi the poet Rumi as the Metta Adept he clearly was. I have removed the intellectual and religious shackles I wore when I was a "know-it-all" Theravadin and the resulting freedom is delicious. The absence of deepening frustration at not having something working for me no matter how much I tried, has also contributed to the deepening happiness and sense of deliciousness.

It is for these reasons that I cultivate gratitude to these people, who in their own rights are utterly bereft of Dharma. People with no sense of style or beauty now have me exploring both. They have given me the sky and for that I shall always be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment