Total Pageviews

Saturday 7 July 2012

Counting Blessings

One of the quickest ways I've found to brighten the mind during meditation is to count my Blessings. I feel we neglect the Blessings in our lives and that we should make it part of our practice to count them regularly.



Blessing counting works as a wonderful antidote to depression. A conscious and if need be, verbal, counting of the many, many wonderful things in our lives really puts the lie into depression.
Also the awareness and recognition that we do live wonderful lives is the perfect way to begin meditation. By the time you've counted your Blessings you will well and truly  be aware just how good your life really is. You will also have a bright and happy mind that will quite happily take to meditation.

 

Often in the stillness of the early morning I stop and sit there and count.
Blessings:

My son. Completely changed who and what I am as a person. I may have contributed 23 chromosomes to Ariel, but he has utterly made me as a person.

My wife. Selina is clearly my match. Apparently as I lay near death she was watching and worrying. Also the simple joy of being with someone who accepts  and delights in the person you are, and wishes for nothing more than to be with you.

My health. Having nearly lost it and my life, trust me...I appreciate it and rate it as a blessing these days.

The wonderfully still and silent room I'm in. In a world polluted with noise and movement, having a space to simply sit and be still in is a Blessing.

Salmonella. Yep nearly dying and the chance to re-examine the lifetime is a blessing. Salmonella also took me back to a surprisingly low base in that it went after my muscle tone and when I broke out in a rash with the Arthritis, it got inside my head. Salmonella didn't bother me...the lesions DID and it was when they arrived that I thought I was about beaten.

Being a Middle Aged Dad. Almost a variation of number 1, but I wouldn't have been half the father I am now had I been a Young Dad. Ariel is almost a complete joy to parent.

Aspergers. Whilst it can be a royal pain, being an Aspie isn't as bad as you might think. If anything it's a net positive. I like the discipline, the ability to decide on and then complete goals and the general absence of bullshit you Nypies have as part of your lives.

These are my Blessings, what are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment